Tomato, Roast Capsicum & Bean Soup
- 2 large red capsicum, seeded, quartered
- 1 large onion, wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, skin on
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch sage, half leaves chopped, remaining fried to serve
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1L vegetable stock
- 2 x 410g cans Ardmona Rich and Thick Classic Tomatoes
- 140g Ardmona Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 400g can cannellini (white) beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup thickened cream
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Arrange capsicums skin side up at one end of tray with onion and garlic. Put tomatoes on opposite end of tray. Drizzle all with olive oil and season.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until beginning to char and soften. Peel capsicum (this is optional) and transfer to a large, heavy based saucepan with onion. Squeeze garlic from skins into pan. Reserve tomato wedges.
- Stir sage and spices into capsicum mixture. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, 1 minute until fragrant. Pour in stock and tomatoes, then mix in tomato paste. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes. Mix in sugar and season.
- Use a stick blender to puree soup. Stir in beans and cream. Serve topped with reserved roasted tomato wedges, fried sage leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Tip: If preferred, omit cream and puree half the beans into the soup before stirring the whole ones through to serve.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!