Tiny Meatballs with Risoni
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 2 x 410g cans Ardmona Rich & Thick Basil and Garlic Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 cup risoni
- Salt & pepper
For the meatballs
- 400g chicken mince
- 2 slices of day-old sourdough, crust removed and torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino cheese, plus extra to serve
- Soak bread in milk for 5 minutes.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and fry, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until softened, season with salt & pepper. Add Ardmona Rich & Thick Basil and Garlic tomatoes, peas and season. Bring to the boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes with the lid on, until rich and thick.
- For the meatballs, combine the chicken, bread, squeezing excess milk out of it, egg, and pecorino. Roll the balls no bigger than a cherry and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Once rolled drop into the sauce, ensuring they are all submerged in the sauce. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the risoni until just al dente. Strain.
- Add a few generous spoonfuls of the sauce to the risoni and then fold through. Serve in shallow bowls with extra sauce and cheese.