Chilli Con Carne
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 140g Ardmona Tomato Paste
- 410g can Ardmona Rich and Thick Chopped Tomatoes – with 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chipotle sauce
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- Light sour cream, to serve
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large heavy based saucepan on high. Saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes until tender. Add mince and brown well, 4-5 minutes, breaking up lumps as it cooks.
- Reduce heat to medium. Mix in spices and cook, stirring, 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste.
- Add tomatoes with 1 1/2 cups water and chipotle sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes (add a little more water if the mixture gets too thick).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a medium frying pan on high. Cook black beans, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until starting to char and burst. Transfer to a bowl with chilli.
- Serve chilli sauce dolloped with sour cream, topped with black bean mixture and scattered with coriander.
Tip: If preferred, stir beans into mince mixture and serve more traditionally with sour cream, mashed avocado and corn chips. If you like a milder chilli, reduce chilli powder to 2 tsp.