- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 50g sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 140g Ardmona Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 410g can Ardmona Rich and Thick Classic Tomatoes – 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Cooked spaghetti, grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat oil in a large, heavy based saucepan on high. Saute onion, celery, carrot and pancetta 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add mince and brown well, 4-5 minutes, breaking up lumps as it cooks. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Pour wine into pan to deglaze.
- Mix in tomatoes with 1 1/2 cups water, bay leaves and oregano. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 25-30 minutes, until thickened. Season.
- Serve sauce with hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta of choice, sprinkled with grated parmesan.
Tip: Add some chopped mushrooms and zucchini if liked with the other vegetables. A pinch of sugar added with the seasonings will reduce acidity. This sauce freezes really well – it’s great to have a batch on hand. When cool, spoon serving quantities into freezer container or freezer bags. Seal well, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!