Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- 250g beef or veal mince
- 250g pork mince
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking and drizzling
- 500g cooked spaghetti, to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 810g can Ardmona Crushed Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 140g Ardmona Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- Combine beef and pork mince in a large bowl with breadcrumbs, parmesan, parley, egg, garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Use clean hands to gently massage the mixture together. Using wet hands, roll mixture into walnut sized balls.
- Pour enough olive oil into a large, non-stick frying pan to cover base. Heat on medium. Add meatballs, frying and tossing for 8-10 minutes until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Tomato Sauce. Heat same pan on medium and add a drizzle of olive oil if necessary. Sauté onion 2-3 minutes until tender. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Deglaze pan with red wine, before stirring in tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and season.
- Carefully add meatballs to tomato sauce. Simmer on low for 10 minutes to heat the meatballs through.
- Toss cooked spaghetti through the meatballs and sauce. Serve sprinkled with extra chopped parsley (or basil), parmesan and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Make this dish really easy by using ready-made fresh meatballs available from your supermarket or butcher. For a little spice, add a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes or a sliced chilli to the tomato sauce.