Pan-fried Tuna with Ratatouille
- 4 tuna steaks (about 180g each)
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for shallow-frying
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1cm cubes
- 400g can Ardmona crushed tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 3 parsley sprigs and 3 thyme sprigs tied together)
- Salt & pepper
- Remove tuna from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Add eggplant, capsicum and zucchini to a baking tray, cover with a generous amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix together and put into the oven to cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked and caramelised.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the onion and cook for 2–3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the tomato, garlic and bouquet garni and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium–low, fold in the cooked vegetables from the oven, cover with a lid and simmer until the vegetables start to break down a little.
- Heat a grill pan or BBQ over a high heat and oil and season tuna with salt and pepper. Cook fish for no more than 1 minute on each side for rare. Rest for a few minutes then cut in half. Serve on top of ratatouille.