Jackfruit Vegan Ragu Lasagne (V)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 carrots, trimmed
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed
- 200g swiss brown mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 x 410g cans SPC Jackfruit Pieces in Water, drained
- 810g can Ardmona Crushed Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, plus extra leaves to serve
- 250g packet Instant lasagne sheets
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, chopped
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cauliflower (500g), cut into 4cm florets
- 200g dairy free shredded cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Roughly chop the onion, carrot and celery into 3cm chunks. Pulse in a food processor with the mushrooms a few times, until everything is finely chopped. Heat oil in large saucepan on medium high. Sauté veg mixture and garlic for 8 minutes, until soft.
- Add jackfruit, tomatoes, wine, lentils and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered for 40 minutes, until jackfruit is soft. Break up any large chunks with the back of a spoon. Stir through sugar and basil. Season.
- In a medium saucepan combine cashews with almond milk. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes to soften nuts. Add cauliflower. Simmer for 6- 8 minutes, covered, until cauliflower is tender. Using a stick blender, puree until smooth. Stir in half of the cheese. Add nutmeg and season.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a deep 28cm x 18cm ovenproof dish. Spread 1/3rd of ragu over base of dish. Cover with 1/3 rd of lasagne sheets, trimming and joining to fit. Spread over 1/3rd of the cauliflower bechamel. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Spray lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until edges turn golden brown and sauce bubbles up the sides. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Scatter with extra basil to serve.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!