Jackfruit Vegan Ragu Lasagne (V)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 carrots, trimmed
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed
- 200g swiss brown mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 x 410g cans SPC Jackfruit Pieces in Water, drained
- 810g can Ardmona Crushed Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, plus extra leaves to serve
- 250g packet Instant lasagne sheets
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, chopped
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cauliflower (500g), cut into 4cm florets
- 200g dairy free shredded cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Roughly chop the onion, carrot and celery into 3cm chunks. Pulse in a food processor with the mushrooms a few times, until everything is finely chopped. Heat oil in large saucepan on medium high. Sauté veg mixture and garlic for 8 minutes, until soft.
- Add jackfruit, tomatoes, wine, lentils and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered for 40 minutes, until jackfruit is soft. Break up any large chunks with the back of a spoon. Stir through sugar and basil. Season.
- In a medium saucepan combine cashews with almond milk. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes to soften nuts. Add cauliflower. Simmer for 6- 8 minutes, covered, until cauliflower is tender. Using a stick blender, puree until smooth. Stir in half of the cheese. Add nutmeg and season.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a deep 28cm x 18cm ovenproof dish. Spread 1/3rd of ragu over base of dish. Cover with 1/3 rd of lasagne sheets, trimming and joining to fit. Spread over 1/3rd of the cauliflower bechamel. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Spray lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until edges turn golden brown and sauce bubbles up the sides. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Scatter with extra basil to serve.