Middle Eastern Apricot Chicken
- 5 saffron threads
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 chicken cutlets, skin removed (thigh, bone in)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 wedges of preserved lemon, flesh removed and skin finely chopped
- 350g apricot halves, drained from juice
- A few sprigs of parsley, to garnish
- Salt & pepper
- 40g pistachio nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Couscous, to serve
- Place the saffron into 2 cups of hot chicken stock and steep for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the chicken pieces.
- Seal on all sides and season with salt and pepper. Remove and place on a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised. Stir in the spices and preserved lemon, then return the chicken and pour over the saffron stock.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low, add the apricots and cover with the lid. Simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Garnish with pistachios and parsley and serve with couscous.