Spiced Pear and Yoghurt Cake
by Justine Schofield
- 700g Goulburn Valley jar sliced pears, drained
- 60g butter, softened
- 360g dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- pinch of ground cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300g Greek-style thick yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C. Line a 23cm spring form cake tin with baking paper on the bottom and around the collar.
- Combine the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until a sandy consistency (note: It will not look creamed, this is ok).
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the spices and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder then fold through 1/3 at a time through the sugar and egg mixture. Now fold in the yoghurt followed by the pears.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and cook for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool before serving with extra yoghurt.