Mexican Fried Eggs with Zingy Tomato Sauce
by Justine Schofield
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 6 small corn tortilla
- 8 free range eggs
- 1 clove garlic, bruised
- 2 sprigs coriander, to serve (stalks reserved for sauce)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce with a tsp of its sauce
- 1 x (400g) can Ardmona diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ x 200g can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 avocado, to serve
- 50g feta, crumbled to serve
- Salt and pepper
- Add a splash of oil in a pot and add the garlic and coriander stalks and fry for 30 seconds before adding the chipotle and can of diced tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and then add vinegar, sugar and ½ an empty can of water. Place the lid on and cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until thick and rich. Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Heat a shallow amount of the vegetable oil to 180°C in a pan and cook the tortillas one at a time for 1 minute on each until crisp. Drain on some paper towel.
- Using the same oil to fry tortillas, fry the eggs in batches to your liking. Season with salt.
- Place the eggs, avocado and beans onto crisp tortillas, then top with sauce, chopped coriander and feta.