Beer Battered Fish Free Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- 2 x 410g cans SPC Jackfruit pieces in water, drained
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp taco spice mix
- 2/3 cup (165ml) chilled beer
- 12 mini tortillas, toasted or warmed
- 2 large ripe avocados, mashed
- 2 baby cos lettuce, trimmed, shredded
- 4 red radish, finely sliced
- 432g can SPC tropics pineapple pieces in juice
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Pat jackfruit pieces dry with paper towel. Trim firmer core ends, leaving 3mm to hold flesh together.
- Pineapple Salsa. Drain the pineapple and roughly chop. Toss in a bowl with coriander, chilli and lime juice. Season.
- Half-fill a large deep pan with oil and heat to 180°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough). While oil is heating, combine 1/3 cup of the flour with taco spice in a bowl. Gently toss jackfruit in dry flour mix to coat. In a second bowl, whisk remaining 2/3 cup of flour with beer to make a batter.
- Working in 2 batches, dip floured jackfruit pieces into beer batter and gently lower into hot oil, frying for 3 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Spread soft tacos with some mashed avocado. Fill with lettuce, radish and battered jackfruit. Spoon over Pineapple Salsa. Serve with lime wedges.
Tip: Toast tortillas in a hot chargrill pan for about 20 seconds each, folding over while still warm to set in shape.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!