Beer Battered Fish Free Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- 2 x 410g cans SPC Jackfruit pieces in water, drained
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp taco spice mix
- 2/3 cup (165ml) chilled beer
- 12 mini tortillas, toasted or warmed
- 2 large ripe avocados, mashed
- 2 baby cos lettuce, trimmed, shredded
- 4 red radish, finely sliced
- 432g can SPC tropics pineapple pieces in juice
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Pat jackfruit pieces dry with paper towel. Trim firmer core ends, leaving 3mm to hold flesh together.
- Pineapple Salsa. Drain the pineapple and roughly chop. Toss in a bowl with coriander, chilli and lime juice. Season.
- Half-fill a large deep pan with oil and heat to 180°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough). While oil is heating, combine 1/3 cup of the flour with taco spice in a bowl. Gently toss jackfruit in dry flour mix to coat. In a second bowl, whisk remaining 2/3 cup of flour with beer to make a batter.
- Working in 2 batches, dip floured jackfruit pieces into beer batter and gently lower into hot oil, frying for 3 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Spread soft tacos with some mashed avocado. Fill with lettuce, radish and battered jackfruit. Spoon over Pineapple Salsa. Serve with lime wedges.
Tip: Toast tortillas in a hot chargrill pan for about 20 seconds each, folding over while still warm to set in shape.