Upside Down Plum Cake
- 2 x 700g Goulburn Valley Whole Plums in Juice
- 175g butter, softened
- 1 cup (180g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) Greek style vanilla yoghurt
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan forced). Grease and line the base of a 6cm deep, 20cm round cake pan.
- Drain plums, reserving juice. Halve and deseed plums (Add any small pieces to plum juice).
- Melt 50g butter. Drizzle over pan base. Sprinkle ¼ cup brown sugar. Gently arrange plums cut side down to cover base.
- Beat remaining butter and sugar until pale. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Fold in combined flour and almond meal with yoghurt, until just combined.
- Spoon batter over plums in pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 1 hr 10 mins, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 mins.
- Simmer plum juices with 4 thyme sprigs in a small saucepan, for 6 mins, or until reduced. Strain and cool.
- Turn cake out onto serving plate. Drizzle with syrup. Serve with fresh thyme, pistachios and extra yoghurt.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!