Moroccan Vegan Vegetable Tagine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cauliflower, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 can (400g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400g can of Ardmona diced tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 8 prunes, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of pearl couscous
- 2 cups of water
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 dates, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to tagine and sauté onion and garlic on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all spices. Add carrot, cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, green beans and cherry tomatoes. Add the stock, chickpeas, canned tomatoes, prunes and apricots. Cover and cook for 45-50 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Several times during cooking, remove the lid and spoon the sauce over the vegetables to keep ingredients moist.
- To prepare the couscous, add 1 tbsp over extra virgin olive oil to a small sauce pan and toast the couscous over a high heat for 2-3 minutes. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes or until couscous is tender. Stir in fresh parsley, chopped dates and lemon juice.
- Serve tagine with couscous mixture and top with almonds and lemon wedges.