Jackfruit Crab Cakes
- 1 flax “egg” 1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water
- 410g can SPC jackfruit
- 400g can white butter beans
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning or seafood seasoning
- 2 tbs – 1/3 cup canola oil or grapeseed oil, for frying
- Aioli, sriracha and lemon wedges, to serve
- To make flax egg: In a small bowl, mix ground flaxseed and water and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- In a food processor blend beans until smooth.
- Drain jackfruit and put in a large mixing bowl. Using hands, break apart jackfruit chunks, so it resembles crab meat. Discard hard pieces.
- Add green onions, corn, lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, flax egg, breadcrumbs, blended beans and herbs. Mix well until combines and season well.
- Place flour and and old bay seasoning on a plate, season well and stir to combine.
- Using a 1/4 cup, scoop out crab cake mixture to form patties. Press into flour mixture, coated evenly.
- Cover the bottom of a large skillet with a thin layer of oil (1 to 2 tablespoons) and heat on medium heat. When the oil is hot add the cakes, cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Flip and cook until golden brown and firm to the touch. Add 1-2 tbs extra oil between batches.
- Serve with aioli or sriracha and a lemon wedge.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!