Apricot ’n’ Cream Upside-down Cakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup extra
- 410g can SPC apricot halves in juice, drained, juice retained, extra apricots to serve on top
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond meal (or hazelnut)
- 1/3 cup self raising flour (or wholemeal)
- 1/2 cup pure cream
- Dollop thick cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced (180°C conventional). Lightly grease a 12 hole (1/3 cup) muffin pan. Line bases with small circles of baking paper.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp brown sugar in the base of each recess. Place 1 apricot half in each, cut side down.
- Beat eggs, extra sugar and vanilla together in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Fold in almond meal, flour, then cream. Sit batter for 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Divide mixture evenly between recesses. Bake 25-30 minutes until cooked when tested. Set aside 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
- Brush with reduced syrup (see tip) and serve with a dollop of thick cream.