Chocolate Swirl Pavlovas with Fruit Salad
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 60g dark chocolate, melted, cooled
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 825g can SPC fruit salad in juice, drained
- Crushed maple pecans or walnuts to serve (see tip)
- Double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to slow, 130°C fan-forced (150°C conventional). Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- In a large clean bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until firm peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbsp at the time, beating between each addition to dissolve, until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Dollop chocolate over meringue, scoop mixture into 12 even mounds (about 8cm) onto trays, forming chocolate swirls through meringue and a slight central recess.
- Bake 50-60 minutes until firm to touch. Cool completely in turned off oven with the door ajar.
- To serve, fill with layers of two fruit, cream, more fruit and a sprinkle of nuts.
Tip: Make maple pecans (or walnuts) by tossing 1/4 cup nuts with 2 tbsp maple syrup in a frying pan over a high heat for 1-2 minutes. Tip onto baking paper. Allow to cool then chop.