Vegan Lentil & Chickpea Dhal
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cm fresh ginger, microplaned
- 2 green chillies, sliced
- 2 cans Ardmona diced tomatoes
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 can lentils
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, garnish
- 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt, per person
- Brown rice
- Cook brown rice in a medium pot according to packet instructions.
- In a medium fry pan on medium heat sauté garlic, onion and ginger for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add canned lentils, chickpeas and peas to the pan and stir. Then add canned tomatoes, coconut milk, cayenne pepper, turmeric powder, curry powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh coriander, brown rice & coconut yoghurt.