Recipe by Jessica Nguyen
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2x 410g cans of Ardmona Rich & Thick Chilli Diced Tomatoes
- 400g spaghetti
- 100g parmesan or grana padano cheese
- 1 small bunch of basil
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Peel and finely chop red onion and garlic cloves.
- Heat a large pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add onions, stirring and allowing to sweat and soften on medium to low heat for 10 minutes. As the onions reduce and soften, they’ll slowly caramelise and turn translucent, adding a sweetness to the pasta sauce.
- Add garlic and continue to stir on medium heat for 2 minutes until they begin to turn golden.
- Add in both cans of Ardmona Rich & Thick Chilli Diced Tomatoes and allow to simmer on medium to low heat for 5 minutes. Optional: Add in a few teaspoons of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- While sauce is simmering, boil spaghetti until al dente.
- Transfer cooked spaghetti to the simmering sauce, as well as a ladle of starchy pasta water. Stir and simmer for another minute to fully coat the spaghetti in sauce, allowing spaghetti to soak up the flavour.
- Transfer to a plate and garnish with freshly grated parmesan or grana padano cheese, cracked pepper and basil leaves.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!