Savoury Waffles With Baked Beans Chorizo And Egg
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 chorizo, thickly sliced
- 1½ golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp each oregano and thyme
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- To serve: soft-poached eggs
- 1 – 2 Tin SPC Baked Beans in Rich Tomato 425g, gently heated
For Homemade Waffles
- 10 gm (1 tbsp) dried yeast
- 125 gm butter, diced
- 400 ml milk
- 100 ml buttermilk, well shaken
- 400 gm plain flour
- 100 gm (1 cup) rolled oats
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Heat in oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add chorizo and fry, turning occasionally, until crisp (1-2 minutes).
- Remove with a slotted spoon. Add shallot and sauté until tender (1-2 minutes).
- Add herbs and cook until fragrant (30 seconds). Remove from heat, add vinegar and cooked chorizo, and season to taste.
Waffles (For a quick and easy method, use Toscano Waffles 4 Pack)
- Stir yeast and 125ml lukewarm water in a bowl until yeast dissolves.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat, add milk and warm gently until lukewarm.
- Remove from heat and add to yeast mixture along with buttermilk.
- Add flour, oats and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl, make a well in the centre, add milk mixture and mix to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and stand until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
- Beat in egg and baking powder until well incorporated, then cook in batches in a pre-heated waffle iron until golden and crisp (4-5 minutes; you’ll need to spread the batter in the waffle iron and it will puff up a lot as it cooks).
- Pour baked beans into a microwave safe bowl and heat in a microwave for 30secs on High.
Serve waffles warm topped with baked beans, chorizo and poached egg