Savoury Waffles With Baked Beans Chorizo And Egg
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 chorizo, thickly sliced
- 1½ golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp each oregano and thyme
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- To serve: soft-poached eggs
- 1 – 2 Tin SPC Baked Beans in Rich Tomato 425g, gently heated
For Homemade Waffles
- 10 gm (1 tbsp) dried yeast
- 125 gm butter, diced
- 400 ml milk
- 100 ml buttermilk, well shaken
- 400 gm plain flour
- 100 gm (1 cup) rolled oats
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Heat in oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add chorizo and fry, turning occasionally, until crisp (1-2 minutes).
- Remove with a slotted spoon. Add shallot and sauté until tender (1-2 minutes).
- Add herbs and cook until fragrant (30 seconds). Remove from heat, add vinegar and cooked chorizo, and season to taste.
Waffles (For a quick and easy method, use Toscano Waffles 4 Pack)
- Stir yeast and 125ml lukewarm water in a bowl until yeast dissolves.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat, add milk and warm gently until lukewarm.
- Remove from heat and add to yeast mixture along with buttermilk.
- Add flour, oats and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl, make a well in the centre, add milk mixture and mix to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and stand until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
- Beat in egg and baking powder until well incorporated, then cook in batches in a pre-heated waffle iron until golden and crisp (4-5 minutes; you’ll need to spread the batter in the waffle iron and it will puff up a lot as it cooks).
- Pour baked beans into a microwave safe bowl and heat in a microwave for 30secs on High.
Serve waffles warm topped with baked beans, chorizo and poached egg
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out some of our suggested recipes for you to try below!