Pulled Brisket and Creamy Polenta
Celebrate dad this Father’s Day with our Pulled Brisket and Creamy Polenta.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg boneless beef brisket
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 x 400g cans Ardmona Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups polenta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- Heat oven to 150C. In an ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp oil and brown beef all over and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil and cook onions and garlic for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the brown beef back to the dish with beef stock, Ardmona canned tomatoes, tomato puree and bay leaves and heat until a simmer, about 8 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cover with foil and a lid. Place in the oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until the meat falls apart. Check on it a couple of times, turning the beef over and giving it a good stir to make sure it’s coated in the sauce.
- Half way through, add mushrooms and stir through.
- In a large sauce pan over high heat, bring 6 cups water and chicken broth to a boil.
- Reduce to a medium heat, add salt. Then add polenta in a slow stream while whisking constantly.
- Keep whisky until polenta thickens and slow bubbles “erupt”, about 5 minutes. Removed from heat.
- Stir in parmesan and butter.
- Remove the beef from the oven and shred the beef with two forks.
- To serve, spoon the beef and tomato sauce over the polenta. Scatter with basil before serving.