Pear and Almond Tart
Wow your guests with this pear and almond tart.
- 1 sheet 24cm sheet puff pastry
- 70g ground almonds
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, separated
- 12 Goulburn Valley Pears, sliced thinly leaving top of pear intact and fanned out
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 4 threads of saffron
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cut puff pastry with a 24 cm pastry cutter, remove excess. Gently score the round with a 20 cm pastry cutter. Transfer on to a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Dock inner circle of the pastry by poking all over with a fork.
- Pre bake pastry for 15 minutes or until it starts to get golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mix together ground almonds, sugar, vanilla extract and egg white until a paste forms.
- Once removed, use a small spatula to gently press down the puffed up pastry in inner circle.
- Fill the centre of the pastry with the almond paste. Top with 2/3 of the flaked almonds then pears.
- In a small bowl whisk egg yolk with 1 tbsp cold water. Brush egg around the edge. Gently press the remaining flaked almonds around the edge.
- Turn the oven down to 180C and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until browned and the almonds are browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan combine maple syrup, saffron and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the saffron and cinnamon steps for about 10 minutes. Removed the cinnamon and set aside.
- Serve the warm tart with infused syrup. Enjoy!