Cherry Tomato and Mushroom Vol Au Vents
Our cherry tomato and mushroom Vol au vents are the perfect no-fuss fancy food to wow your guests this Christmas.
- 500g pack puff pastry OR 8 to 10 vol au vent cases
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 40g butter, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves, reserve some for topping
- 400g Ardmona Cherry Tomatoes
- 200g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp chives, sliced, reserve some for topping
- If making the vol au vent cases, preheat oven to 200C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into 15cm rounds, trimming any edges.
- Score a smaller circle inside each one, leaving a 2cm border, taking care not to cut the pastry all the way through.
- Put the cases on the tray, lightly brush with egg glaze and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, carefully remove and discard the central piece of pastry from each one. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the shallots, garlic, thyme, 350g cherry tomatoes and 175g mushrooms, cook for 6 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and stir through creme fraiche.
- Using a stick blender, blend the mixture for a few seconds. The consistency should be slightly chunky.
- Stir through chives and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture between the vol au vent shells and top with the remaining mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, thyme and chives.