Beef and Pistachio Meatballs
by Justine Schofield
- 500g fatty beef mince
- 1 egg
- 100g ricotta
- 50g pistachio, chopped plus extra to serve
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan plus extra to serve
- 2 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 2 x (400g) cans crushed tomatoes (Rich & Thick – Classic)
- Salt & pepper
- To make the meatballs. Place the mince, egg, ricotta, parmesan, pistachio, herb, garlic and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Combine thoroughly with your hands. Roll the mixture into golf ball–sized portions and place on to a tray lined with baking paper.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a large ovenproof sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and chilli and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the crushed tomato, garlic and add 400ml of water.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Lower the meatballs into the sauce and gently stir to cover each meatball in the sauce.
- Cover and cook on medium – low for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve meatballs in shallow bowls. Garnish with pistachios and parmesan.