Apricot Tart with Sliced Almonds
- 825g SPC apricot halves removed from juice (you need approx.12 halves)
- 1 cup caster sugar, divided in half (250g)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (120g)
- 2 small eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cornflour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 sheet readymade puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup apricot jam (150g)
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° fan)
- Combine 150 g of the sugar with 300 ml water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over a moderate heat until sugar has dissolved, and a syrup is formed.
- Reduce the syrup to a steady simmer and add the apricot halves. Cover and simmer over a low heat until the apricots are sticky with the syrup
- Set off the heat as you prepare the frangipane and pastry.
- Combine the remaining caster sugar with the ground almonds, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt in a food processor. Blend on high until smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed.
- Add the cornflour and pulse until the mixture comes together like a very soft dough.
- Lay out the pastry on a surface dusted with cornflour; roll out into a 30 cm | 12″ x 30 cm | 12″ square. Transfer to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Working about 1 1/2 cm | 1/2″ in from the edge of the pastry, lightly score a rectangular border all the way around using the tip of a sharp paring knife; make sure not to cut all the way through the pastry.
- Spread the frangipane onto the pastry, stopping just short of the border all the way around.
- Top with four rows of poached apricot halves, three to each row; brush with apricot jam and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake until the pastry is golden-brown and puffed at the edges, 25-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. 1
- To serve, carefully lift the tart off the tray and cut into squares. Serve with fresh cream or ice- cream