- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 45g (3tbs) caster (superfine) sugar
- 150g butter chopped
- 2-3tbs ice cold water
- OR, 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry
Apple Pie Filling:
- 800g Ardmona pie apple
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbs raw sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease a 24cm pie dish and set aside.
- To make the pastry, place the flour, sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Slowly add the iced water and mix until dough is smooth. Knead the dough into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap and place it into the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine Ardmona Pie Fruit, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Divide pastry dough into 2 portions (one 2/3 for the base and one 1/3 for the top) and then roll out each portion until 3-5mm thick.
- Line pie dish with pastry, covering base and sides. Trim any excess. Spoon the apple mixture over the base. Brush the sides with egg.
- Cover with the remaining sheet of pastry. Press edges to seal and trim excess. Brush with egg and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Cut 3-4 slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm with ice cream.
If using store bought shortcrust pastry, simply line the pie dish with 1 sheet of pastry. Fill as above and top with the remaining pastry sheet. Bake as normal.