Baked Bean and Mozzarella Croquettes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 fresh herbs (such as lemon balm, mint, thyme, or oregano), torn or roughly chopped
- 500 gram drained SPC baked beans
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 100 grams grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 egg, beaten, Flour, 300g approx panko crumbs
- Diced mozzarella
- In a wide pan over low-medium, heat half the olive oil, then the garlic clove.
- When the garlic is golden, add the beans and sauté, stirring to combine the beans then herbs, and cook for 2-3 minutes, letting the oil infuse.
- Add the vinegar, salt, and plenty of pepper, and continue cooking gently for 5 minutes until some of the liquid has cooked down.
- Remove from the heat and mash the beans with a potato masher (or push the mixture through a coarse sieve).
- Add the parmesan cheese.
- Let cool completely in the fridge to firm up the mixture or store overnight.
- When cool, roll tablespoons of the mixture into walnut-sized balls, filled with mozzarella then roll gently into cylinders covering the cheese completely.
- Place flour in a bowl.
- Place the beaten egg into a shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs into a separate shallow bowl.
- Roll each cylinder first in the flour then the egg and then in the breadcrumbs, rolling to cover completely.
- In a fryer gently fry the croquettes in batches until golden brown. 170c 3-4 mins.
- These are best served hot or warm with your favourite dip or sauce.
- Store in fridge or freezer.